As one of the delegates who joined the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI), the country’s largest business organization and one of the invited business organization, yours truly wants to share with you the result of the two-day business forum.
The business forum that was just concluded and conducted at the SMX Convention Center in Lanang, Davao City was a great success as stated by majority of the business leaders who attended. This first of its kind activity was initiated by the economic team of the Incoming Duterte Administration with the theme “SULONG PILIPINAS: Hakbang Tungo sa Kaunlaran,”
Mr. George Barcelon, President of the Philippine Chamber of Commerce and Industry (PCCI) said that the two-day business forum and the exchange of ideas will provide the building blocks for collective synergy that will eventually lead to socio-economic growth. Mr. Barcelon stated that the following building blocks that would be emphasized are: A competitive business landscape supportive of growth and integration of key economic sectors to globalization; transparent and responsive governance and dependable bureaucracy and a proactive and evolving agenda for jobs creation supported by appropriate physical infrastructures and human resources development.
Other business representatives who were present at the meeting also praised the economic conference, others described as unique and very productive activity. During the conference, agenda were laid out and submitted top ten doable recommendations for his 10-point socio-economic programs for the consideration of the Incoming President as he assumes office on June 30.
- Adoption of a comprehensive tax reform package.
- Implementation of National ID system for improved targeting of social services.
- Automation and streamlining of business permits and licensing systems and reducing bottlenecks in Land Titling to ease and improve the cost of doing business and eliminate windows of corruption.
- Improvement of internet and telecommunications services to be competitive with the best in the region
- Delivery of support services to farmers and fishermen such as financing, incentives, technology, irrigation, post-harvest facilities, farm-to market roads, improved logistics and integration in the supply chain to fully develop the potential of the agricultural industry to develop rural areas and the countryside
- Implementation of responsible mining with local value-added such as processing and limiting raw ore exports.
- Development and implementation of a national strategy for industries where the country has the greatest competitive advantage, and preparing the local workforce for these industries
- Improvement of transport networks across the country to improve connectivity
- Review of the conditional cash transfer (CCT) program
- Reduction in bottlenecks in PPP and Infrastructure projects and respect for the sanctity of contracts.
In final statement, the participants stated, “Mr. President, these business leaders look up to you
as our CEO and the Cabinet as our COOS. You are our leader. ENUNCIATE your vision and we will all follow you”!