This post has already been read 378 times!
TABUK CITY, Kalinga – The city government has requested the Department of Education- Cordillera (DepEd-CAR) for an extension in the use of public schools as isolation facilities for returning residents.
Last week, local government units (LGUs) were asked to vacate schools being used as isolation facilities before June 1 in preparation for the upcoming opening of classes on August 24.
But on Wednesday, Kalinga Schools Division Superintendent Amador D. Garcia said the DepEd has decided to allow LGUs to continue using schools considering that many stranded residents are still arriving.
City Health Officer Henrietta Bagayao said the City Health Office wants to continue using schools as isolation units at least until June 30. She said the aim is for all remaining stranded Tabuk residents to return home in time to finish their 14-day quarantine before June 30.
“We ask the [Philippine National Police] to fast-track the [issuance of travel authority for our stranded residents] in Manila, Baguio and other areas so that we can beat the time for their 14-day quarantine before June 30 nu aproban ni regional director diay request tayo,” Bagayao said.
“We will be preparing our daycare centers, pending the approval of our request by the regional director,” she said.
The City Health Officer said that of the 42 functional barangay isolation units (BIUs) of Tabuk, 36 are in public schools while the rest are in barangay halls.
She said that as of Tuesday (May 25), 311 LSIs are currently undergoing quarantine in their respective BIUs while 32 are in the City Isolation Unit at the Tabuk City National High School.
Dr. Bagayao mentioned that St. Theresita’s School has offered the use of some of their buildings as additional isolation units for the city. She is grateful for their generosity.
By Iryll Sicnao