P21.6 million for 3 Benguet calamity projects released

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

LA TRINIDAD, Benguet  -The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) central office approved the release of some P21.6 million for the completion of three priority calamity projects to ensure the safety of the motoring public traversing the disaster-affected major infrastructures in the province.

District Engineer Ireneo S. Gallato of the DPWH-First Benguet District Engineering office (DPWH-FBDEO) disclosed he received copies of the Special Allotment Release Order for the identified priority calamity projects Tuesday afternoon following persistent follow-up done by his office in close coordination with Rep. Nestor Fongwan, Sr. who also worked hard for the release of the additional funds to complete the programmed works for the said infrastructure projects.

He claimed P8.6 million from the programmed rehabilitation funds for bridges in the central office was downloaded to the district office to augment the P14 million earlier earmarked for the retrofitting of the damaged Balili bridge below the Provincial Capitol wherein the additional funds will be used to put up the bridge deck to help strengthen the bridge structure.

Earlier, the DPWH-FBDEO conducted public bidding for the P14.4 million that was previously earmarked for the retrofitting of the bridge before it was damaged by the continuous monsoon rains last July that caused the temporary re-routing of motor vehicles to prevent the bridge from further incurring heavy damages.

The DPWH central office also released some P7 million to complete the improvement of the pavement and the parapet along Camp 6 and some P6 million for the extension of the slope protection wall and the bridge approach of the Camp 1 bridge, both along Kennon road, which were heavily damaged during Supertyphoon Ompong last year.

According to him, the initial P12 million for the Camp 6 calamity project and the P10 million for the Camp 1 project both came from the agency’s calamity funds last year but were augmented from this year’s allocation for calamity as previously-approved funds are not sufficient to complete the programmed works and ensure the safety of the motoring public.

The district engineer expressed his gratitude to Rep. Fongwan and DPWH-CAR regional officials for helping the agency follow-up the release of the requested funds for the completion of the calamity projects so that the structures, particularly the Balili and Camp 1 bridges will be opened to bigger motor vehicles in the coming months, instead of having to accommodate only light vehicles.

DPWH-CAR regional director Tiburcio Canlas also favourably endorsed the aforesaid requests for funding that helped in speeding up the release of the funds for the province’s identified priority calamity projects.

He said that the district office continues to work closely with the office of the Benguet lawmaker and the DPWH-CAR regional office to facilitate the release of the remaining unreleased requested funds from the DPWH central office to fund the restoration and rehabilitation of calamity projects within the jurisdiction of the said office. By Dexter A. See

 

Comments