No application yet for waste to energy project

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

This post has already been read 471 times!

SABLAN, Benguet – The municipal government disclosed that there is no application by any person, corporation or entities for the proposed put up of a multi-billion waste-to-energy project in Lower Palali.

Under Resolution No. 21-151, the municipal council denied having met with the proponent of the waste-to-energy project, Metro Global Renewable Corporation, the Baguio City government, the Sangguniang Panlalawigan of Benguet, and other agencies to discuss the renewable energy project in the previous months.

Further, the body also denied that majority of the members are in favor of the establishment of the renewable energy plant in the locality.

On March 29, 2021, the council posted on its Facebook account an excerpt of the minutes of a meeting stating that there is no official application by any person or corporation for the operation of a waste-to-energy project in the municipality.

Earlier, Baguio City Mayor Benjamin B. Magalong disclosed that members of the Sablan municipal council met with representatives of other agencies and some members of the Benguet provincial board met to discuss the said project.

Further, he claimed that majority of the members of the Sablan municipal council are in favor of the waste-to-energy project being proposed to be established in a private property in the municipality.

According to the aforesaid resolution, Magalong’s statement had allegedly caused alarm and negative comments from Sablan residents primarily due to the notion that the renewable project had already been approved by the municipal government.

Metro Global Renewable Corporation is proposing to put up a P5 billion waste-to-energy project in Sablan with the use of the latest technology that will ensure no toxic emission for the conversion of at least 500 tons of garbage to around 10 megawatts of renewable energy that will be infused to the Luzon grid.

Under the said project, Baguio will be the source of at least 400 tons of garbage while the towns of La Trinidad, Itogon, Sablan, Tuba and Tublay will provide the remaining balance of the garbage provide the daily requirements of the renewable energy plant to be able to generate the 10 megawatts of renewable energy.

The proposed renewable energy plant will be established in a private property having a land area of more or less 8 hectares which is sufficient to house its facilities and other amenities provided for the conversion of all waste to quality and cheap power.

The establishment of the waste to energy plant is said to be the ultimate solution to address the garbage disposal problems of almost all local governments following the closure of all open dumpsites pursuant to the pertinent provisions of Republic Act (RA) 9003 or the Ecological Solid Waste Management Act of 2000

Since then, local governments that were not able to establish their controlled dump facilities or engineered sanitary landfills primarily because of problems on available land areas for the same were compelled to haul out their garbage to the nearest landfill facility. By HENT

Comments