DSWD provides educational assistance, not scholarships

  • 2

BAGUIO CITY – The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) clarifies that the department is currently providing educational assistance to indigent students through the Crisis Intervention Section (CIS) and not scholarships to students.

The educational assistance is one of the services being implemented under the Protective Services Program of the department which aims to help eligible students pursue their schooling even during a crisis situation, such as the displacement of their parents from employment or death of a family member.

“For the educational assistance, we prioritize indigent students in public schools, state colleges and universities. However, this may also be given to a student who is not indigent but is assessed by the social worker to be in extreme need due to difficult circumstances,” Field Office-CAR Director Leo Quintilla said.

The educational assistance is given once in a school or academic year and the amount is based on the assessment of a DSWD social worker.

CIS social workers will determine the eligibility of the clients through interview and the documents presented and look into the circumstances that affect the situation of the clients.

Aside from the educational assistance, the social workers can refer the students to concerned local government unit or appropriate institutions that can further assist them.

Students who are in need of educational assistance may visit the nearest Local Social Welfare and Development Office in their area or the DSWD Field Office CAR located at #40 North Drive, Baguio City. They should bring the following: valid identification card of the client to be interviewed, Enrollment Assessment Form or Certificate of Enrollment or Registration, validated school ID of the student-beneficiary, and Statement of Account for College Students. The social worker may also require the client to submit a Barangay Certificate of Residency or Certificate of Indigency.

By Nerizza Faye G. Villanueva