35 attend 5-day plumbing training

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

LA TRINIDAD, Benguet – Thirty five learners of the Alternative Learning System (ALS) from the different learning centers of La Trinidad District availed of a free 5-day training-workshop on In-House Plumbing organized by the La Trinidad Community Learning Center (LTLC) in collaboration with the Municipal Local Government Unit (LGU) and La Trinidad Water District (LTWD) on July 3-7, 2017 to equip the participants with technical knowhow and skills in plumbing for future job opportunities aside from home application.

The first day was lectures to familiarize the learners with the usual problems experienced in drainage, piping and water system and their causes; common plumbing equipment and tools; and proper floor lay-outing. The succeeding days posted a big challenge because all the undertakings were demonstration and hands-on experiences wherein all participants were made to execute the proper use of the different equipment and actual installation of pipes, fixtures and apparatus of a comfort and bathroom. Here, the trainer repeatedly emphasized that plumbing is not more of physical strength but strategic techniques.

Mr. Joseph Unos, LTWD Supply Officer and the trainer though out the duration of the activity said to the participants “this is actually a short course and the certificate that you earn at the end can qualify you to take the NC II TESDA Assessment.” He added that the learning and exposure being delivered by LTWD is close to that of TESDA since the 90% chance of passing the NC II was already experienced during the training and 10% shall come from within each of the trainees”. The 10% refers to the learners’ initiative to take the necessary preparations before undergoing the NCII assessment.

The full support of the ALS Education Program Supervisor, Mr. Tito Bestre, heightened the enthusiasm of the trainees to give their best in their actual performances in coming up with a mock-up of a comfort room and bathroom, along with an accurate floor plan and bill of materials. Mrs Ruth Bambico, TESDA representative walked in twice to provide the necessary information on plumbing NCII assessment.

The short course was concluded with an educational tour at the site of La Trinidad Water District wherein the entire technological process of generating safe water supply was shown. One of the participants, Ngalob Lim Ducyogen shared, “now I realize how amazing the ALS program is, it bridges the basic educational needs of the dropouts and those deprived of attending school aside from giving valuable trainings like this that could serve as a means of livelihood.” Ducyogen and the participants expressed their gratitude during the closing program as they acknowledged the selfless service of the training organizer, Mrs. Arlene Selec and those who served as facilitators namely, Joyce Polonio, Christine Cauan, Aveguel Domocmat, Ursula Dalay-on and Michael Tamiray.

By Ursula M. Dalay-on

Comments