Geje “Gravity” Eustaquio hacked out a hard-earned unanimous decision over Kim Kyu Sung on Friday, May 17, 2019, during ONE: ENTER THE DRAGON in Singapore in the alternate bout for the ONE Flyweight World Grand Prix.
The Team Lakay star quickly reversed his fortunes after a losing the Flyweight diadem earlier this year in his trilogy with Adriano Moraes.
He put himself on notice to his Korean rival and flashed the spinning kick just moments after the opening bell. His leg kicks, however, were the ones which gave Kim problems throughout the first round.
Kim was up on his toes to start the second round and landed an overhand right to start his counter. He followed it up with more hits that found their mark.
Eustaquio, however, continued to land combinations to Kim’s head to keep up with the pace. As the seconds of the round were on their last, he launched a spinning back kick to the body and followed it up with a spinning back elbow to beautifully close the round.
Kim, probably sensing he’s down on the judges scorecards, upped his attack to start the fourth but Eustaquio continued to evade many of Kims strikes that were aimed at his head while staying toe-to-toe with his rival.
He continued sneaking spinning elbows and precise punches to ward off Kim’s late charge and earn the nod of the judges.
The victory improved Eustaqiuo’s record to 12-7 while dropping Kim to 9-3.
It also put him on the waiting list as an alternate for the ONE Flyweight World Grand Prix. This means Eustaquio will replace any ONE Flyweight World Grand Prix semifinalist in the event he cannot compete due to an injury.
Other bout results:
1. Christian Lee defeats Shinya Aoki via TKO at 0:51 of round two to claim the ONE Lightweight World Title
2. Regian Eersel defeats Nieky Holzken to claim the inaugural ONE Lightweight Kickboxing World Title
3. Petchmorakot Petchyindee Academy defeats Giorgio Petrosyan via split decision (ONE Featherweight Kickboxing World Grand Prix)
4. Samy Sana defeats Yodsanklai IWE Fairtex via unanimous decision (ONE Featherweight Kickboxing World Grand Prix)
5. Cosmo Alexandre defeats Sage Northcutt via knockout at 0:29 of round one (mixed martial arts — welterweight)
6. Saygid Guseyn Arslanaliev defeats Amir Khan via knockout at 2:56 of round one (ONE Lightweight World Grand Prix Semifinal)
7. Miao Li Tao defeats Dejdamrong Sor Amnuaysirichoke via knockout at 4:09 of round one (mixed martial arts — strawweight)
1. Jo Nattawut defeats Sasha Moisa via TKO at 1:24 of round three (ONE Featherweight Kickboxing World Grand Prix)
2. Yoshitaka Naito defeats Alex Silva via unanimous decision (mixed martial arts — strawweight)
3. Garry Tonon defeats Yoshiki Nakahara via submission (heel hook) at 0:55 of round one (mixed martial arts — featherweight)
4. Dzhabar Askerov defeats Enriko Kehl via unanimous decision (ONE Featherweight Kickboxing World Grand Prix)
5. Mei Yamaguchi defeats Laura Balin via submission (armbar) at 3:46 of round one (mixed martial arts — atomweight)
6. Iurie Lapicus defeats Shannon Wiratchai via submission (rear-naked choke) at 3:10 of round three (mixed martial arts — lightweight)
7. Daniel Dawson defeats Brown Pinas via split decision (ONE Featherweight Kickboxing World Grand Prix — Alternate)
8. Rahul Raju defeats Richard Corminal via submission (rear-naked choke) at 4:43 of round one (mixed martial arts — lightweight)
By: ARMANDO M. BOLISLIS
Banner Photo by: ONE Championship